on a park bench
I
sit alone on a park bench, though, a long ways from a park. It is dusk. I sit awaiting
the inevitable fall of night while time creeps by in a passing manner. Its deep
current shifting effortlessly, unnoticed. My hair feels a breeze, though no
shiver. Not the slightest droplets of cold rain can be sensed as deep, olive
leaves sway casually with the soft winds, hanging limp from the mighty boughs.
A
calm can be felt. Completely aware of my surroundings, I am reminded of a fellow
that had paid visit just a bit ago, a bee, in fact. He has come back to my
company. I am quite accustomed to the common fear of insects; however in this
instance I sit unmoved. The wildlife is familiar; a gathering of squirrels,
rabbits, bees and bird.
Here
I sit alone, my surroundings lack populace. The trees ache of rains gone by.
Their leaves gasp for breath as the autumn advances. It won’t be long before
falling waters quench their thirst.
At
this point night has fallen and the crowd grows steadily. There are some people
approaching from my peripheries.
Distracted, my ears settle on a distant hum. It has become apparent that
there is no escaping such sounds of construction, even at such an hour. Attempting
to locate the sound would be foolish, though it taunts me with want of
discovery. There are other sounds: the whir of leaves rustling in the oak, the
incessant click of a coasting bicycle. A dissonance of sound blends into a
rather quaint melody.
I
now see faces of youth and splendor. A vast transition from dusk to dark
conjures calming energy that hangs low overhead. The footpath to my right is
subject to heavy traffic. Clusters of people stroll by, exchanging pleasantries
and giggling over the previous day’s folly. For the first time since I had sat
down on that park bench, I feel alone.
They
are dressed, ready to “take on” the night. With a glance, I notice my watch
strike the hour. A new voice has joined the choir. A toll of bells, nine to be
exact, is in accompaniment.
The
most peculiar boy acquires my attention. Helmet on top, a yellow polo and checked
shorts to match. He removes the locking device from around the fence post and
places it in the basket in the rear. A most peculiar crate he carries, for its
contents consist of one transparent umbrella and a container of cleansing
cloth. I take in the umbrella with a sense of awe. My mind questions his
motives for a moment, for it is not due to shower.
I
look to the sky. A waning crescent casts light across a multitude of
surrounding clouds. My neck arches as I seek to unearth the North Star. My
attempts prove unsuccessful as it seeks to stay shrouded in shadow.
The
pedestrian flow remains steady. In the instance that I decide to rise, my
friend joins me again. My retinas follow its seemingly agitated antenna as it
clambers about the park bench. I turn back to the busy scene before me and with
my subtle movement, my company departs for the last time, leaving me once again
alone on a park bench.

No comments:
Post a Comment