The
white and yellow cab pulled up to the curb. Cabs scare me, but this driver,
Allingo, was friendly. “Georgia Tech” I politely requested, trusting he knew
how to get there because I certainly did not. I asked him how long it the ride
would take, “Just under twenty minutes,” he replied. The night was still young
and it was a perfect evening to walk around and explore the Georgia Institute
of Technology. The twenty-minute drive went by in a flash. Allingo was not only
a cab driver but also a tour guide equipped with the best points of interest
and stories of all kinds.
As he regaled us with stories of his family as well
as the drunken passengers he has had over his years as a cab driver he was sure
to point out all of the most important places in Atlanta. “On your right, we
have the most important place along this route: The Krispy Kreme.”
The thought
of the 24-hour donut store made my mouth![]() |
| Cab View |
water. We soon got into college territory and
young people flooded the sidewalks. Some equipped to go
study in the library, others dressed up and
headed for frat row.
I
stepped out of the cab into this unfamiliar territory, one that had a curb and
sidewalk much less manicured than the one at my Emory University dorm. The
parking lot was empty, giving me chills. Another girl stood there waiting for
someone, equally as lost as I was but we did not say a word. I started to walk
towards the football stadium, hoping I could find Nic, my friend from high
school who was destined to be my tour guide for the night. (virtual tour)
![]() |
| Georgia Tech |
![]() |
| Emory University |
Nic
was waiting on the sidewalk next to the football stadium. I ran to him with
open arms; seeing a familiar face from home for the first time made my eyes
light up and left an indelible smile on my face for the rest of the night. We
walked around for a while, he gave me a tour of the entire campus from top to
bottom. There were not many girls on this campus; mostly boys wearing athletic
shorts and a t-shirts roamed the streets. The buildings all looked the same,
making me question how one could tell the difference between them all. Nic was
excited to show me how he had organized his room and though I was excited to
see it, I had no idea what to expect. I was brought through a creaky door to be
led straight up a staircase that could hardly fit two people and down a hall
with the most eerie lighting I had ever seen. scary sound effect
After
a quick tour of the campus, we were starving. Our final destination of the
night was the Waffle House. This
was the only place within a significant distance that was populated; the
restaurant was packed with college students looking for a tasty midnight snack.
People sat outside eating waffles because there was not enough room in the
actual building to eat comfortably. The girls and boys laughed, talked, giggled
and screamed. It was loud, almost too loud for midnight (crowd laughing). The smell of syrup and
eggs was overwhelming; reminding me how hungry I was. People pushed and shoved just to get to the
counter to order. I let Nic be in charge of ordering as the pace was too fast
and I was too small to get recognized at the counter. I took a seat at a window
table and stared outside as I was waiting for our food. The night was slowly
progressing and not much was going on. The only people in sight were at this
restaurant, shouldn’t colleges be packed with energetic people on Friday
nights? We left Waffle House and continued on our journey through the dark
campus. One dirty brick after another, I was reminded how fortunate I am to go
to Emory, a beautiful and spectacular place.




No comments:
Post a Comment